Friday, July 31, 2015

Why I Read Young Adult

Neighborhood friends keep forwarding me emails inviting me to their next book club meeting. While I am never one to turn down free wine or any appetizer made with cheese (or any appetizers not made with cheese, for that matter), I continue to politely decline. I read at least a book a week, so you'd think I'd be drawn to this like college kids to Panama City during Spring Break.

The truth is, I would rather spend my time reading Young Adult novels than the ones on their book club lists. Yes, I know that a woman my age should probably prefer books in in the genre of Women's Fiction. But as my first love Tim W. told me when he broke up with me in sixth grade: The heart wants what the heart wants.

I prefer not to invest my beloved reading time in story lines where middle age women question their life choices and struggle against the conflict that results when dysfunctional families are put under duress. Obviously. If I wanted that kind of drama, I wouldn't waste twenty dollars on a hardcover book at Barnes and Noble. All I'd need to do is go in my family room and attempt to wrestle the remote away from my sons in a bitter battle wherein I try to switch the channel from ESPN to HGTV.

I choose to read Young Adult fiction because the characters are more emotionally charged and the conflicts are more intense and fast paced. Maybe it's the resilience of youth, but YA fiction leaves me feeling more hopeful and positive about life. Or maybe I love YA because it submerges me in the kind of passion that ignites when your life is so ripe with yearning and potential. Or maybe I just feel grateful to be done with all that adolescent angst.

So there you have it. My name is Lynn and I read YA fiction. Give me the Teen Department in the book store over Oprah's suggestions any day. And if you don't know where that's located, you're really missing out.



"...it's impossible to put the book down. Conspiracy, loyalty, secrets, oaths, lies, and riddles flourish, making this the perfect book for readers who love to untangle mysteries by puzzling things out."  -BOOKLIST 

"At the end of the day, it’s Talan and his endearing combination of bravado and vulnerability, coupled with the crackling chemistry he shares with Laney, that will keep readers turning the pages. A satisfying read for secret-society fanatics and romantics alike."   -KIRKUS REVIEWS

Lynn Lindquist (Chicago, IL) lives with two overly social sons who provide fodder for her young adult novels and growing anxiety disorder. Her contemporary thriller Secret of the Sevens is set for release on June 8, 2015 from Flux Publishing.  To learn more, follow Lynn on lynnlindquist.com or on Twitter at @LynnLindquist.

No comments:

Post a Comment